Choosing a Network Scanner – Main Rules
Today, the development of information systems and technologies is accompanied by an increase of risks associated with the availability of software resource vulnerabilities, data loss and hacking. All work as computer inventory software and software auditing tools aiming maintaining a healthy network and assure its stability. If you are seeking a network inventory scanner, Softinventive Lab will help you with your search. Find all-in-one solution for network inventory functioning as network auditing software.
The wide distribution of means to implement such threats makes the use of various security analysis systems extremely important, especially when it comes to big businesses and large corporations. Security monitoring, pc audit, certification of information systems and making regular network audit reports are possible today by a virtue of vulnerability scanners. The latter allows conducting network inventory and vulnerability identification.
Currently, there are a lot of network scanners on the market; they vary from shareware and open sources to specialized complexes of the information security audit.
What Can a Network Scanner Help You with?
The use of network scanners helps to solve the following problems:
- Inventory of resources including network devices, OS, services, and software;
- Identification and analysis of vulnerabilities;
- Preparation of reports containing a description of problems and options for their elimination.
Most modern network security scanners work on the following principles:
- Gathering information about the network, identifying all active devices and services (networking pcs and macs);
- Detection of potential vulnerabilities/ network auditing;
- Confirming the selected vulnerabilities, which uses specific methods and simulates attacks;
- Network audit report generation;
- Automatic removal of vulnerabilities.
The last function is not always implemented in network security scanners, but it is often found in system scanners. Thus, it is possible to create a backup scenario that can reverse the changes made, for example, if the network is fully functional after the vulnerability has been removed.
Nevertheless, each scanner of the many presented on the market has its unique functions and features. So, when choosing a network scanner, consider the list of its features but do not forget to estimate the functionality of the product according to the specific needs of your organization and your finances. The main thing that is necessary in the work of the scanner is a wide coverage of the network with devices and nodes to be checked; ease of use and accuracy of settings; the possibility of automatic work, which will not distract specialists from their everyday tasks.